Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Woodruff Place Flea Market

Wow is pretty much all I can say.  It was a crazy, busy, insane weekend.  For the most part.  We started loading the 14ft enclosed trailer on Thursday evening and we finished it up on Friday evening.  It was almost full.  How in the WORLD did I have that much stuff?  I seriously have NO IDEA where I kept it all.  My house is 1100 square feet.  I have no basement.  I do, however, use half of my 2 car garage, 1 of the 3 bedrooms, and I have an attic.  But still, HOW DID I HAVE THAT MUCH STUFF?!  Sorry, I have no before picture of the loaded trailer, but imagine how much stuff will fit in roughly 350 square feet of space.

 So, I know you all are going to laugh... but I think I'm starting to build a reputation around the office (at the day job) as the crazy junk lady.  A coworker bought a (new to her) 1932 craftsman style home.  She has been working on remodeling it.  She got new windows and took out all of the old ones.  Which were the original windows to the house.  She gave them to me.  We left work a little early on Friday so that I could go to her house and pick them up.  When she was having the windows replaced the men were going to just throw them away, but she asked them to save them for me.  Isn't that sweet?  There were 14 in total.  Here they are in the back of my truck.


 So Saturday morning I got up way before the sun and was at my set up location for the flea market just as the sun was rising (about 5:45A).  Dad and mom arrived shortly after with the trailer full of stuff.  We set up as quickly as we could.  We started having shoppers around 7A and the market was not even set to open until 8A.  We were still rearranging and making the booth look decent well into the 9A hour.  But, it was insanity.  There were times when I had probably 50 or more people looking at all of my stuff.  I had no times for pictures of the before.  It was just too much.  At times it was even too much for all 3 of us to handle.  By 10:30 I was ready for a cold beer.  I was able to snap some pictures when we had a few lulls in the crowd.  I'm guessing that at least 5,000 people walked through my space and even more walked by (hey - their loss!  I know not everyone is in to "old junk").


Standing in the back - a view to my left.


  Standing in the back - a view to my right.


 Standing in the front a view to the right.

 





 There weren't very many windows left at the end of the day.  I think about 10 had already been sold at this point.



It was just the perfect day.  We were shaded under 2 big trees all day.  We had the best hosts that let us set up in their front yard.  And, I hit my weekend goal just on Saturday.  We decided that we weren't going to go back on Sunday for a few reasons: 1. it was raining all morning; 2. I hit my monetary goal on Saturday; 3. Sunday is usually pretty light traffic-wise; 4. we were all EXHAUSTED.  I did capture a couple of pictures of how empty the trailer was when we finished loading it all back up.




And finally - my friends over at Junkey Monkeys brought me this... (Also check out their page for a few funny pictures from Woodruff this weekend... like free condoms, "snake charmers", and large wizard hats... I'm not joking... You never know what you will find at Woodruff!)



I added this cool S to my fireplace decor.  I can't show you the other side -- it's still a mess.  And who has time to completely style their fireplace for a quick pick to upload to Facebook? ;)

Anyways, then I binge-watched the entire second season of Orange is the New Black on Sunday and ate pizza for 2 meals.  It was awesome.

So, I am going to be having a few garage sales over the next month.  Going to continue to de-stash what was left in the trailer.  I also want to sell some stuff from my house, so I can replace it with (new to me) old stuff!

Thanks to all of you who came out on Saturday.  Thanks to those of you who sent me encouraging messages on FB, emails, and comments on the blog.

Melissa

Where I'll be linking up this week:
Thriftasaurus
Show and Share
History and Home
Ivy and Elephants
Vintage Thingie Thursday 
Share Your Cup Thursday
Junkin Joe
Miss Mustard Seed

17 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! I picked out the picture with all the blue jars....wish I could have been there! ~~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you had a lot of stuff! Glad it was such a big success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember correctly, you live in Ohio? (I can't keep track of everyone!) Any way...I read that you have a Junkey Monkey. I just found one near where we live (Wilmington, NC). So, it's funny that you mentioned it. Our is a thrift/consignment store. We were run out at closing time a week ago, so we will be going back at the end of the week. We have been junkin' like crazy for a few months now. I really want a (cheap) dresser. I can't find one of those, but we have acquired plenty of other things! Ever since we knew we had family coming at the end of the month, we new we needed dishes. We found 21 white plates and purchased them for $7. We purchased another white set for 5. Then, we found something even better - plain white Corelle - service for about 8 plus - bowls, small plates, large plates - $8. I don't know how many white plates we have seen in the last few weeks! We don't NEED anymore! We have been having the best time, and it looks like we could have done a little damage at your sale, too. I'm glad you had fun making money! I look forward to your full reports.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing better than a successful show! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun, fun, fun! I'd have enjoyed buying some of your great stash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I would have loved to shop your booth! Looks like a great show, glad you met your expectations in one day, bonus, lol. They are exhausting though. I'm halfway thru Orange is the New Black, it's great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had the kind of "booth" that I drool over, and want everything! Esp the Pyrex, naturally. Thanks for sharing this at History & Home, take care. Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun!! I'd like to come upon a booth like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy for you that the flea market was a huge success! You are a very hard working girl! Those windows were a great score too! Such a shame that things like that get tossed all the time! Thank goodness you rescued that batch!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have only sold at a market like this once. Afterwards I went straight and rented a booth :>)) You were lucky with both the site with the trees and the weather. I do not blame you for not returning Sunday. You now have me wondering about Orange is the New Black - I have been making fun of it after seeing it in the "Must See' section of the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That flea market looks like it had a lot of goodies to entice you. I love going to them, but rarely buy as I have too much stuff now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on such a successful event! It's funny how something that's so much physical work can also be so fun. And exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Melissa.
    What a great set-up and great selling. You deserved the couching

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad things went great for you! I know what you mean about your co-workers thinking you are a crazy junk lady. I have people giving me old junk all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone is talking about Orange is the New Black & my BF & I have never seen it! Since we are just started to catch up on life now after moving, I think a sit in of season 1 is in order!

    Would have loved to be at the sale, looks like things went great!

    Thanks for linking up with Thriftasaurus! When my life gets back on track (just hooked up my computer - yay) I'll be linking up to TTF again).

    ♥ Sir Thrift-A-Lot
    http://www.sirthriftalot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet co worker! The windows are wonderful. It's easy to see why they sold quickly! You really did have a ton of stuff! Glad that you did so well on Saturday. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always welcomed and appreciated!